Chief Executive Officer at Macra na Feirme
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: The National Council and National Executive of Macra na Feirme.
Location: National Office, Irish Farm Centre, Bluebell, Dublin 12 with flexibility required to travel to meetings, events and functions around Ireland and occasionally abroad.
Contract: 5 year fixed term contract.
Direct Reports: Finance & Administration; PR; Events Management; Membership Services; Agricultural and Rural Affairs Manager; Travel; Training and Development Officers and Land Mobility Programme Manager.
Summary /Overview of CEO role:
- To efficiently and effectively direct and manage the staff cohort in support of the President and National Executive, in delivering the operational and strategic goals as agreed by the National Council of Macra na Feirme.
- Work closely with the President in identifying, presenting, developing and pursuing initiatives to grow the organisation through alliances and joint-ventures in accordance with the mandates of National Council and National Executive.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Provide overall vision, direction and leadership, consistent with Macra’s mission, for staff and management across the organisation, who serve the membership.
- Develop, implement and review with the National Executive and National Council, as appropriate, a rolling strategic and operations plan which sets out the major aims and objectives for the organisation, as well as its key deliverables.
Organizational – Performance & Development:
- Set up performance targets with all staff and ensure the operation of an effective Performance Management and Development System (PMDS) within Macra na Feirme.
- Ensure that Macra na Feirme retains its status as a strong, vibrant and dynamic organisation to serve the membership.
- Work with the organisation’s subcommittees on the development of relevant policy.
- Continually contribute to the development of the organisation and identify new opportunities in the areas of funding, travel, partnerships and further education & services.
- Represent the organisation in a manner which enhances its profile and responds to its membership’s needs.
- Develop and present for approval to the National Executive and National Council as appropriate, annual operating budgets and plans, and submit periodic operating and financial reports as directed by the National Executive.
- Provide metrics and key performance indicators (KPI’s) on financial performance versus budgets and plans.
- Work with the President on initiatives to ensure that Macra na Feirme generates the required financial resources to develop, and invest into the future.
Planning & Monitoring – focus on outcomes:
- Implement KPI’s and metrics to evaluate return on investment for activities undertaken, to ensure that resources are deployed to deliver most impact.
Relationships / Communication & Networks:
- Develop and maintain superior working relations with all internal and external stakeholders, Government agencies and related institutions, organisations and sectors.
- Ensure effective communication internally across the Macra na Feirme network and externally with key stakeholders and supporters.
- Develop, promote, sustain and nurture productive working relationships with the President, National Executive, National Council and with the membership at large.
- Management of the corporate governance of the organisation in conjunction with the National Council.
- Support the President and the elected officers in the discharge of their roles as the elected representatives of the members of Macra na Feirme.
- Represent Macra na Feirme to Government departments and agencies; to other farming organisations and to the agri-business at large.
Risk Management :
- Ensure all appropriate Health & Safety, Employment Law, Insurance processes and procedures are in place and that there is compliance with relevant regulatory requirements.
EDUCATION & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Education / professional qualifications and experience:
- A relevant third level qualification is essential.
- At least 5 years senior management experience with a successful track record in leadership and management in either the public or private sector.
- A proven track record in developing and implementing strategy in a changing environment.
- Excellent stakeholder management experience with the ability to engage and network at all levels in the organisation, and externally.
- Experience and understanding of the agricultural sector, rural affairs, fundraising, working with community and voluntary organisations; is desirable.
- Garda Vetting is a requirement.
- Full clean driving license required.
Personal Attributes required for the position:
- Exceptional strategic vision; high energy & enthusiasm.
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to take and execute decisions.
- Experience of managing complex, people-based organisations in terms of leading, motivating and continuously re-focusing a professional staff cohort whilst serving the needs of a volunteer led organisation.
- Excellent team building skills and experience, together with the stamina to energise, motivate and build trust.
- Developed interpersonal communication, negotiation and conflict resolution skills to manage a dynamic and multi-faceted organisation.
- Able to operate effectively at policy, strategic and operational levels with a reputation for analytical depth and clarity.
- Proficient Project Management skills.
- Competency to oversee the development, implementation and management of systems, initiatives and processes, paying particular attention to the application of best practice in Finance, Human Resources, IT and PR for Macra na Feirme.
- Possesses qualities of empathy and determination to build and nurture relationships both internally and externally; to represent Macra in negotiation and promotion.
A generous remuneration package will be offered to the right candidate for the position.
The role is likely to suit an individual looking to grow and further develop their career at a senior management level through an interesting and challenging role.
If you wish to apply, please email your curriculum vitae with a covering letter (setting out your suitability for the position) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The post is now closed.
Macra na Feirme is an equal opportunities employer.